Sunday, June 30, 2013

Mammoth Lakes, California (RV Park)

September 2012


I love this area!  The air is clean, the trees are beautiful and there is so much to do.  As an able-bodied person I came to Mammoth often in the winter to ski.  This was my first trip back as a wheelchair user.  At this point I feel the need to apologize.  When I started this RV adventure, I had no idea that I would create a wheelchair accessibility blog from it.  So now I'm playing catch-up by memory of my travels over the last year.  But here goes… 

Mammoth Mountain RV Park
2667 Main St
Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546 
(760) 934-3822 

Amenities include;
Full and partial Hookups RV site
Cabins and tent areas
Indoor pool and spa
Wi-Fi

The beauty of this park are the trees but that means the sites are full of pine needles and cones. They do offer sites on pavement that are a little more wheelchair friendly but, we chose to go for the full experience.  We stayed in the more natural wooded section.  Although the sites are well groomed I found them a bit challenging in a manual wheelchair.  You may want to use a chair with rugged tires, a power chair or a scooter.  Also a mat or rug for the patio / picnic area.


Accessible things not to miss…

A wide paved path off Lake Mary Rd. in the Twin Lakes area.  You will come across lakes, waterfalls and even a horse stable.






This path along the lakes goes on for miles





Ride the gondola to the top of Mammoth Mountain.  The staff was awesome and well prepared to assist you on and off the gondola.  A portable ramp is available to roll you and your chair into the gondola.  They will radio the top so a ramp is waiting when you get there.  When you start off it's a little unnerving and you will feel like you're flying.  The scenery is unbelievable!!  Not much to do at the top except say "WOW... Look what I did". (Have a jacket because it can be cold at the top)


9/11/2001 is a date nobody will ever forgot.  The last time I was in Mammoth was with a very good friend who was lost in the 9/11 tragedies.  On 9/11/2012, even though I am terrified of heights, I wanted to ride the gondola to the top in memory of my lost friend.





I started out scared but the ride and view was amazing.





Go shopping at "The Village at Mammoth".

Dining suggestions...

Giovanni's -  An Italian restaurant in town.  Handicap parking spot in front. One step up into the restaurant but otherwise fully accessible. I recommend the Mammoth pizza.  You will be eating leftovers for days.

Roberto's Cafe  –  A Mexican restaurant in town. Outdoor dining is accessible. Good margaritas!!

Truth be told… I have not found a bad restaurant in Mammoth yet.

Helpful advice – Bring a sweater, because when the sun goes down the temperature drops!!

4 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! Ed and I are looking forward to reading all about your travels...the good and the bad (but, for your sake, hopefully not too much of the latter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi. I think we will find and see a lot of cool stuff. I know Neil is having a good time finding new bike rides!! My hope is to encourage someone challenged by a handicap (or able-bodied) to live their life.

      Thanks again,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. Nice and awesome conversation, for sure majority of all reader really love this too. Thanks for sharing!

    Zion RV Park

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever you intend to buy, it will take you a time before you make the best choice. valutazione camper challenger

    ReplyDelete