Saturday, June 15, 2013

How this adventure began…

I love to travel... see and do something new! However, 20+ years ago I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Along the way I became a wheelchair user, which put a wrinkle in my plan.  The best word I have to describe travel in a wheelchair is challenging.

It never failed when booking accessible hotel rooms the result was anything but!  The room for the handicapped person is always the furthest away.  Most things in the room were either too high or too far.  The roll-in shower was usually a bathtub.  I even found a perfectly appointed handicap assessable room with a doorway not wide enough for a wheelchair to get through.  The worst was after traveling 3000 miles we got to our hotel and found they don't have accessible rooms (Even though our email confirmation said they did ).

After years of vacations being overshadowed by making sure everything was accessible enough my husband came to me with a crazy-ass idea.  He wondered if I had any thoughts about a RV?  I said "Have you ever met me"?? The idea seemed so strange because my idea of camping is a bad hotel. After researching the idea we found that it just might work.

And the adventure begins:

5 comments:

  1. We sooo need to chat! Awesome blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I'm sorry about the slow response. I did not see your comment until today. I have been a bad blogger. My intention is to play catch-up.
      Keep in touch and take care, Laura

      Delete
  2. what make/model of wheelchair lift do you have? Just bought a new RV. Need one with a remote control for door and lift like yours. Thanks. email me at livinginnaples@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a RICON industrial lift for a bus. If you need the model number, I'll get it for you the next time I'm in the motorhome.

      Sincerely, Laura

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete