Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Rugged Chair

After our trip to Mammoth Lakes I found that I needed a new tool.  Something to help me get through the looser dirt.  I was struggling with my everyday manual wheelchair but didn't quite need my electric scooter.  I needed some sort of hybrid wheelchair.

As soon as we got home my husband put on his "MacGyver–hat" to come up with a solution.  He used my old manual wheelchair and slapped on a pair of hefty mountain bike tires and more durable tubes.  To save my skin from rubbing from the tires he added some wheel spacers.  Also, the front tires needed to be a little larger to avoid getting stuck and making me fly forward out of the chair. 

This was the end result...

I call it my "Trailblazer"!!


















4 comments:

  1. Your husband did a great job! You really need a rugged chair to go on trails. Have you seen anything about FreeWheel? http://www.gofreewheel.com/

    It looks like it works really well and I like how it attaches and come back off so easily. The only thing that I'm not sure about is whether it would rub on my feet or ankles because my footrest is so narrow. I'm going to find a store that carries them and try one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen –

      Neil is always trying to make something better for me. Somethings are just wild and crazy but, this turned out pretty awesome!!

      Thank you for the web address. That looks like it could be a great thing. I see why you're concerned about the amount of room it takes from the footplate. I'm also wondering about all the weight it adds to that one spot??

      I think I saw that the price is $500. Because of your blog and the amount of people that follow you that need the same thing, I'm wondering if you could be there official test person?? Think about it!! Ha ha…

      Let me know if you are able to find one and try it out. Now I'm super curious.

      Take care,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. love that wheelchair!!! how cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Except for a new pair of mountain bike tires I already had everything else. My favorite… Inexpensive and cool!!

      Delete